This smoothie is going to make you feel like you’re on a tropical island.
The fruit are loaded with vitamins A and C while the yogurt provides an instant source of protein.
Drink your fruit
Servings: 2 (12 ounces each)
- 1 orange, peeled
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 peach halves
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1-2 tbsps shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup white grape juice (or more almond milk)
- 6 ice cubes
- In a blender, purée all the ingredients except the ice cubes.
- Add the ice cubes and blend until smooth.
- I used Trader Joe’s yellow cling peach halves in white grape juice, but you can also use other brands or a fresh peach
- If you use fresh mango in place of frozen, you may need to add ice cubes to thicken the smoothie
- Add ice last so you don’t over-blend, leaving you with a watery drink
- I’ve successfully added protein powder to this recipe
Can you tell I like to frequent Trader Joe’s? 🙂
One of the most refreshing ways to enjoy fruit is in a cool drink. A cross between fruit juice and bubbly soda, this fruity cooler has summertime written all over it.
Watermelon and strawberry are the perfect pair for a light, vitamin-packed drink. With so few components, the quality of the ingredients and the simple twists (a squeeze of lime juice for example) make all the difference.
- 2 cups watermelon chunks, seeds removed
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup sparkling water (or more according to your preference)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Watermelon wedges, for garnish
- In a blender, purée the watermelon chunks, strawberries and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sparkling water.
- Serve over ice and garnish with watermelon wedges.
- Use ripe fruit, even fruit that’s slightly past its prime. The sweet, rich notes of the fruit will come through.
- Adding simple syrup, agave, and maybe a splash of vodka opens a world of flavor possibilities.
- A favorite trick of mine is to make two batches of the cooler and freeze one batch in ice cube trays to use when serving. That way the cubes won’t dilute the drink.
After a week filled with rainy days, I’m looking forward to sunny skies and warmer weather. What’s your favorite summer fruit and your favorite way to enjoy it?